Quick Quote
Quick Quote
Home Auto Windstorm Life Flood Boat Jet Ski Renters RV Umbrella Motorcycle

Windstorm Insurance

The Texas Homeowners Policy includes Windstorm, Hurricane, and Hail coverage in most areas of our state but thousands of coastal residence, like us here in Corpus Christi, are often subject to different rules and different requirements.

The Texas Wind Insurance Association provides coverage to residential and commercial properties in 14 counties of the Texas seacoast territory including Nueces, San Patricio, and Kleberg counties. The designated catastrophe area is that portion of the seacoast territory where the Commissioner of Insurance has found that windstorm and hail insurance is not reasonably available.

Check with you insurance agent to determine if they represent a company that includes windstorm, hurricane, and hail protection in your homeowner policy or if you must secure "wind" coverage from the Texas Wind Insurance Association?

Please note that Ed Cantu Insurance Agency can help you avoid TWIA and include windstorm, hurricane, and hail protection as part of an all-in-one policy for most homes built after 1998 as long as they are not located on a barrier island like Padre Island, Mustang Island or Port Aransas and do so at a competitive rate. CLICK HERE to get a quote.

Eligibility for a TWIA policy

Applicants and properties must meet the following criteria:

  • Properties must be located in the area designated by the Commissioner of Insurance, which currently includes all 14 first-tier coastal counties (Aransas, Brazoria, Calhoun, Cameron, Chambers, Galveston, Jefferson, Kenedy, Kleberg, Matagorda, Nueces, Refugio, San Patricio and Willacy) and parts of Harris County east of Highway 146
  • Applicants must have been denied coverage by at least one insurer authorized to write windstorm and hail coverage in the designated area
  • Properties must be certified by the Texas Department of Insurance as having been built to applicable building codes, with limited exceptions
  • Properties located in flood zones V, VE, or V1-30 that were constructed, altered, remodeled, or enlarged after September 1, 2009 and that can obtain flood insurance through the NFIP must provide proof of flood insurance coverage and
  • Properties must meet all other Association underwriting requirements, including maintaining the structure in an insurable condition - in good repair, with no unrepaired damage or hazardous conditions.

TWIA coverage types:

  • Residential: Dwellings, personal property, manufactured homes
  • Commercial: Commercial buildings, business personal property, townhouses and condominiums
  • Miscellaneous Items: Including but not limited to signs, fences, swimming pools and flagpoles

Fill out the form below for a personalized quote!

Wind Insurance Quote

First Name
Last Name
Year Bought